On May 11, 2010, at 8:38 PM, Noah Silverman wrote:

Hi,

An example data set is:

group    level    color
A        1        "blue"
A        1        "Red"
B        1        "blue"
B        2        "Red"
A        2        "Red"
B        2        "Red"
B        2        "blue"
B        2        "blue"
A        2        "blue"
A        2        "Red"

I'd like to compute a summary of counts for each combination of group, level, color.

An example output would be something like this:
group    level    color        count
A        1        "blue"        1
A        2        "red"        2
B        2        "red"        2
etc..

The tapply function seems to do this for a single variable, but I can figure out to to do it for combinations of more than one factor.

This doesn't work?

tapply(example$color, c(example$group, example$level), length)

I also see the ave function, but can't figure out how to apply it to multiple factors.

It would give you as man lines as in the orignal which is not what you want.

--
David,

Any suggestions?

Thanks