While not a direct answer to your question, do

?getwd and ?setwd help at all?

Johannes W. Dietrich wrote:
There is certainly a trivial solution for my question, but I can't find the answer in the documentation.

I need a platform independent method to obtain the file path of the current R script.

My working group uses R on several machines with different operating systems including Mac OS X, Windows and Linux, and for obvious reasons the file hierarchies are very different. Therefore, it would be useful to be able to address data files and external procedures relative to the path of the script.

Thank you for any suggestion,

J. W. D.