You have a list that you want to treat as a vector, so ?unlist it.

Jonathan wrote:
Hi all,
   I'm hoping this question has a simple answer, but I can't find it through
searching or trying commands.

I have a list of numeric vectors called 'husk'.  I'd just like to treat the
set of all numbers from all vectors in the list as if it were one large
vector, because I'd like to extract information, such as what is the max
entry from all the numbers.

husk
[[1]]
[1] 2 5

[[2]]
[1]  2 17

[[3]]
[1] 2

[[4]]
[1] 17

max(husk)
Error in max(husk) : invalid 'type' (list) of argument

max(husk[])
Error in max(husk[]) : invalid 'type' (list) of argument

max(husk[[]])
Error in husk[[]] : invalid subscript type 'symbol'

max(husk[[1:length(husk)]])
Error in husk[[1:length(husk)]] : recursive indexing failed at level 2

max(husk[1:length(husk)])
Error in max(husk[1:length(husk)]) : invalid 'type' (list) of argument

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Best,
Jonathan