Try this one liner.  The first argument of rep is the sorted
intersection and the second argument is the calculated from the
parallel minimum of the counts of elements in a that are also in b and
the counts of elements in b that are also in a.

rep(sort(intersect(a, b)), pmin(table(a[a %in% b]), table(b[b %in% a])))

It does have the advantage of not introducing factors.