Hi Gavin,

thank you for the answer. I am aware of the fact that with nMDS it's about
the configuration, and that's exactly my problem: the configuration changes
pretty much when I increase the number of dimensions. As I am trying to go
from a CAT(0) space of trees (see Billera et al on geodesic distance) to an
euclidean space, the required amount of dimensions is not easily determined.
I have to restrict my euclidean space for practical reasons, but I want to
stay as close as possible to the "original" configuration of the trees.
Hence my playing with the dimensions in the nMDS.

I merely commented on the metaMDS as "not really meant for this kind of
data" because of the object that's returned. As you miss the "species"
component in the data, you get warning messages when using procrustes() or
other functions in the vegan package. But you're right. It might be written
for community data, but it is perfectly valid for any kind of distance
matrix.

thanks again for your insights.

Cheers
Joris