Hello dear R-help list and Michael Lawrence.

I wish to use GTK with R.
I installed the newest RGtk2 and GTK from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gladewin32/files/gtk%2B-win32-devel/2.12.9/gtk-dev-2.12.9-win32-2.exe/download
on the path:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\

And followed the instructions on the installation manual for RGtk2, and
added the line:
GTK_PATH=C:/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0
To the
etc/Renviron.site
file.

Yet when I come to  load the package via require("RGtk2"), I get the
following *error massage*:

> the procedure entry point libiconv_set_relocation_prefix could not be
> located in the dynamic linke library iconv.dll

And then (in the R console) I get:
Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
  unable to load shared library 'C:/Program
Files/R/library/RGtk2/libs/RGtk2.dll':
  LoadLibrary failure:  The specified procedure could not be found.

The interesting thing is that after I install GTK (through the
auto-install), then RGtk2 loads without error in R.  But if I try to run
something, for example:
demo(alphaSlider)
I will get the error massage:
Error in .Call(name, ..., PACKAGE = PACKAGE) :
  C symbol name "S_gtk_window_new" not in DLL for package "RGtk2"

Upon restarting R, again, I wouldn't be able to use  require("RGtk2")

Here is my sessionInfo()

> R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)

i386-pc-mingw32

> locale:

[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252

[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252

[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252

[4] LC_NUMERIC=C

[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

> attached base packages:

> other attached packages:

[1] RGtk2_2.12.18

[1] tools_2.11.0

(I am running win XP)

I tried searching for this error on the mailing list and on google, but
couldn't find a solution.

Thanks,
Tal

Contact me: tal.gal...@gmail.com |  972-52-7275845