Anyone know if coin can run a permutation test based on a (user-defined)
statistic other than the mean difference?  The function independence_test does
the permutation t-test via difference in means.  I'm wondering if it's possible
to use independence_test to run a permutation test for some other statistic
than the difference in means.  For example, I'd like to run a permutation test
using Welch's t instead of the difference in means.

The help for independence_test reveals that "teststat" is an argument which
allows for specification of standardized scalar test statistic, a maximum type
statistic, or a quadratic form.  I cannot, however, figure out if it is
possible to specify how the statistic should be calculated by, for example,
supplying a function.

There are other mentions of test statistic in the help file but they all seem
to have to do with the names of classes or objects which can be retrieved from
coin output.

Bryan