A few ideas:

Make a log-scale y-axis like:
hist(my.data,...,log="y")

argument yaxp can help make the ticks look pretty...see ?par.

Or use various functions from the package `plotirx': axis.break and
gap.barplot might be helpful.

For those functions, you'll probably need to get your frequencies from the
histogram, something like:

my.freq <- hist(my.data,...,plot=FALSE)$counts

you may also need to play with the x-axis tick labels to actually denote the
correct bin for your frequencies.

Good luck, hope that helps--
Andy