Dear all,

It sounds as if regexp works according to the same rules as Perl, very
nicely explained in:
http://blob.perl.org/books/beginning-perl/3145_Chap05.pdf

Yet, I couldn't help but wonder if there are also differences in behaviour.
I couldn't find any yet, but there must be some. Anybody care to elaborate
on this?

Cheers
Joris

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Matt Shotwell <shotw...@musc.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 16:43 -0400, Erik Iverson wrote:
> >
> > McGehee, Robert wrote:
> > > R-help,
> > > Sorry if this is more of a regex question than an R question. However,
> > > help would be appreciated on my use of the regexpr function.
> > >
> > > In the first example below, I ask for all characters (a-z) in 'abc123';
> > > regexpr returns a 3-character match beginning at the first character.

> > > [1] 1
> > > attr(,"match.length")
> > > [1] 3
> > >
> > > However, when the text is flipped regexpr, and I ask for a match of all
> > > characters in '123abc', regexpr returns a zero-character match
> beginning
> > > at the first character. Can someone explain what a zero length match
> > > means (i.e. why not return -1), and why the result isn't 4,
> > > match.length=3?
> >
> > It means it matches 0 characters, which is fine since you use *, which
> > means match 0 or more occurrences of the regex.  It sounds like you want
> > + instead of *.  Also see gregexpr.
>
> Also, regular expressions try to match as early as possible. That's why
> the match is at position one of length zero, and not at position four of
> length three.
>
> Matt Shotwell
> Graduate Student
> Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
> Medical University of South Carolina

> > > [1] 1
> > > attr(,"match.length")
> > > [1] 0