> As I noted in my closing comments in my second post, if one has a desire to
> make R's functionality available on smartphones (iPhone, Android, etc.) or
> iPad-class devices, then a client/server approach may be the most efficient
> means to do so. That approach also avails you of more powerful computing
> platforms than the client side mobile devices have, at least at present,
> which will also limit aspects of portable functionality.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc

Indeed, the client/server approach is what is used in MatLab Mobile,
which is now on sale in the app store.
See
http://blogs.mathworks.com/desktop/2010/05/24/introducing-matlab-mobile-%E2%80%93-an-iphone-app-to-connect-remotely-to-your-matlab/

If matlab can do it, then surely the R community can as well.

Regards,
Gustaf

--
Gustaf Rydevik, M.Sci.