Megh Dal wrote:
Dear falks, here I have written following function :
fn <- Vectorize(function(x = 1:3, y = 3:6) {
        x <- matrix(x, nrow=1)
        y <- matrix(y, ncol=1)
        dat <- apply(x, 2, function(xx) {
                              apply(y, 1, function(yy) {
                                  return(xx + yy) } ) })
        return(dat)}, SIMPLIFY = TRUE)

If I run this function, I got some warning message, even format of the returned
object is not correct, for example :
  fn(x = 1:3, y = 3:7)
[1] 4 6 8 7 9
Warning message:
In mapply(FUN = function (x = 1:3, y = 3:6)  :
  longer argument not a multiple of length of shorter
However if I run individual line of codes like :
x <- 1:3; y = 3:7
x <- matrix(x, nrow=1)
         y <- matrix(y, ncol=1)
         dat <- apply(x, 2, function(xx) {
+                               apply(y, 1, function(yy) {
+                                   return(xx + yy) } ) })
dat
[1,]    4    5    6
[2,]    5    6    7
[3,]    6    7    8
[4,]    7    8    9
[5,]    8    9   10

I get exactly what I want. Where I am making fault?

I think you don't understand what Vectorize is trying to do. It is basically a way to run a loop, calling your function with each matching pair of x and y values, i.e. x=1, y=3 in the first call, then x=2 y=4 in the second, etc. The warning comes because you have three x values and five y values, so it will repeat the 1st two x values -- but it warns you that's likely not what you intended.

Duncan Murdoch