Dear R-helpers,

I would like to generate a binary random variable within a stratum's
stratum. Here is a simple example.

## x is the first level strata index, here I have 3 strata.
x=c(rep(1,5), rep(2,5), rep(3,5))

## within x, there is a second strata indexed by t=0 and t=1
t=rep(c(0,0,1,1,1),3)

## and within strata i and t=0 and t=1, I generate the random binomial
variable respectively, and save in y
y=rep(NA, length(x))
for (i in 1:3)
{
y[(x==i)&(t==0)]=rbinom(2, 1, 0.2)
y[(x==i)&(t==1)]=rbinom(3, 1, 0.8)
}

My question: is there any way to avoid the for loop, since I have the first
level strata has thousands of strata. (Within each x stratum, the t only has
2 levels, 0 and 1 )

Thanks for any help!

Carrie