Thanks, that worked great, but I am having trouble generalizing it to my
entire data set for some reason.

I have 318 rows like this:

"Main Group\t1000\tMP Test\tMP Test, 1\tAudio (1, f1-qaddara.aiff)\tl
(target is right word)\tl\tPressed\tl (target is right
word)\tC\t3111\t\t\t\t\t"

and the command:
mydata <- matrix(strsplit(x, '\t')[[1]], nrow=1)

gives me a matrix with only the 1st row of the data.  I have tried playing
around with it, but so far the best I can do is get 318 copies of row 1.

How can I get a matrix with all 318 rows and 15 columns split by the '\t'?

Thanks again.

kevin