Hi there:
     I have a question about generating mean value of a data.frame. Take
iris data for example, if I have a data.frame looking like the following:
---------------------
    Sepal.Length Sepal.Width Petal.Length Petal.Width    Species
1                    5.1               3.5                  1.4
    0.2     setosa
2                    4.9               3.0                  1.4
    0.2     setosa
3                    4.7               3.2                   1.3
   0.2     setosa
.                         .                   .                      .
             .              .
.                         .                   .                      .
            .               .
.                         .                   .                      .
            .               .
-----------------------
There are three different species in this table. I want to make a table and
calculate mean value for each specie as the following table:

-----------------
                             Sepal.Length Sepal.Width Petal.Length
Petal.Width
mean.setosa                    5.006            3.428             1.462
      0.246
mean.versicolor               5.936             2.770             4.260
      1.326
mean.virginica                  6.588            2.974             5.552
      2.026
-----------------
Is there any short syntax can do it?? I mean shorter than the code I wrote
as following:

attach(iris)
mean.setosa<-mean(iris[Species=="setosa", 1:4])
mean.versicolor<-mean(iris[Species=="versicolor", 1:4])
mean.virginica<-mean(iris[Species=="virginica", 1:4])
data.mean<-rbind(mean.setosa, mean.versicolor, mean.virginica)
detach(iris)

Thanks a million!!!

--
Shih-Hsiung, Chou