Hello David,

I am not sure I understood your question.

Are you asking what are the packages that the R release comes with?
Or are you asking what recommended packages one should have when installing
R?  (There is a good list to start with
here<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/54763/what-r-package-do-you-use-most>
)

Also, are you asking how to not need to install new packages when upgrading
R?
(For that, you can have a look at a post I wrote on an alternative way for
upgrading R on
windows<http://www.r-statistics.com/2010/04/changing-your-r-upgrading-strategy-and-the-r-code-to-do-it-on-windows/>,
which might give relevant ideas for your case as well)

Best,
Tal

Contact me: tal.gal...@gmail.com |  972-52-7275845
www.r-statistics.com (English)