Thanks Charles.

In the meantime, I found out the following code does the trick.
But I am wondering if:
1) I might have made a mistake in it somewhere
2) If there are other (smarter) ways of going about this.

Here is the solution I wrote:

# -----------------------------------------

order.a.tree <- function(tree)
{
num.of.leafs <- length(tree$order)
for(i in 2:(num.of.leafs-1))
 {
tree$order <-  order( cutree(tree, k = i))
 }
return(tree)
}

#Example:
a <- list()  # initialize empty object
# define merging pattern:
#    negative numbers are leaves,
#    positive are merged clusters (defined by row number in $merge)
a$merge <- matrix(c(-1, -2,
                  -3, -4,
                   1,  2,
-5,-6,
3,4), nc=2, byrow=TRUE )
a$height <- c(1, 1.5, 3,4,4.5)    # define merge heights
a$order <- c(1,4,2,3,6,5)              # order of leaves(trivial if
hand-entered)
a$labels <- 1:6# LETTERS[1:4]    # labels of leaves
class(a) <- "hclust"        # make it an hclust object
par(mfrow = c(1,2))
plot(a)                     # look at the result
plot(order.a.tree(a))

Any comments, or other solutions will be very welcomed.

Best,
Tal

Contact me: tal.gal...@gmail.com |  972-52-7275845
www.r-statistics.com (English)