On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Hendro Wibowo <hendrohwib...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I would like to share my experience when installing the Spatial views
> packages for R. I could not install 32 packages which are parts of the
> Spatial views, and I use google-search and search to solve ALL those
> problems for about 2 days. I hope maybe somebody would benefit from my
> experience.
>
> I admitted that I do not have excellent programming skills at all. So,
> perhaps some of steps I did are not necessary to solve the problem at hands.
> But it works and I am happy.
>
> I was lucky if the problem I have was already solved by someone else, or if
> the problem is just a matter of installing another R packages that depends
> on other packages. Sometimes it has something to do not with R package but
> with a package that has to be installed in my operating system (in my case
> LinuxMint 8, based on ubuntu karmic). so I just guessed the nature of the
> problem, and try to solve it via already solved similar problem.
>
> i found many problems solved direct or indirect from Nabble - OSGeo FOSS4G
> websites. of course many problem are also solved from other website other
> than Nabble, but I forgot their address, as I google search again and again
> for all those problems. But I do appreciate everyone who post their
> problems, solved or not solved, so I can solved my own problem, either
> directly or indirectly (by using the idea and guessing from already solved
> problem).
>
> I found that we need to change from gcc version 4 to 3, in order to some
> packages to be installed (I forgot which one). The script i used to achieve
> that, taken from the internet, is placed at the bottom of this message.
>
> and finally below here are lists of problems and solutions of installing
> Spatial Views.

.
.
.
SNIP

The main complication here seems to be that packages have (obviously)
dependencies and that especially Task View packages have MANY dependencies
which can not be resolved by R but on the operating system (Linux and Mac -
Windows is a different story) level.

To make the installation easier, would it be possible to put these
dependencies on the website of the task views, and possibly even provide
commands for the most widely used Linux distros on how to install them? This
could save quite some time in installing those.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!