________________________________

De: users-boun...@admb-project.org [mailto:users-boun...@admb-project.org] En
nombre de Chris Gast
Enviado el: miércoles, 16 de junio de 2010 21:11
Para: Arni Magnusson
CC: r-help@r-project.org; us...@admb-project.org
Asunto: Re: [ADMB Users] an alternative to R for nonlinear stat models

Hi Arni (and others),
 My dissertation work involves use (and extension) of models of the same ilk
(sometimes exactly the same) as those described by Nancy Gove and John Skalski
in their 2002 article.  I began with R, and moved to my own home-brewed C/C++
programs for the sake of of speed when fitting models and real and simulated
data.  In addition, we found that the estimated standard errors (based on the
inverse hessian output from optim()) were very sensitive to tolerance
criteria--often changing orders of magnitude.

Hi,
Regarding the last bit, optim() has several methods (Nelder-Mead, simulated
annealing, conjugate gradient, etc). It is interesting to me which method
produced what result with the standard errors from the inverse Hessian. Can you
briefly ellaborate?
Thanks
Rubén

Dr. Rubén Roa-Ureta