You should look at

Loader, C. (1999) Local Regression and Likelihood, Springer.

on which the package is based.  In particular, check out page 218.

locfit() evaluates the regression surface over a grid that's chosen
adaptively.  In small bandwidth situations, it can run out of memory for
storing the grid.  Try increasing the `maxk' argument.

-roger
UCLA Department of Statistics
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~rpeng