Are you familiar with :
@article{box,:hunt:1962,
    Author = {Box, G. E. P. and Hunter, William G.},
    Title = {A Useful Method for Model-building},
    Year = 1962,
    Journal = {Technometrics},
    Volume = 4,
    Pages = {301--318},
    Keywords = {Adaptive modeling; Empirical model; Kinetic model;
              Nonlinear}

I'll consider a vector response, because that is easier, but you can generalize to matrix.

I would start with various kinds of plots of the response vs. different poistions in the vector. With a 2 x 2 experiment and more than 4 runs, I would make 4 such plots, one for each set of conditions.

Box and Hunter then suggest to model each line (vector or matrix) separately. This will reduce the dimensionality of the problem to something more managable with traditional techniques.

howe this helps. spencer graves

ZABALZA-MEZGHANI Isabelle wrote:
Hello,

I wonder if anybody has some idea about how to solve my problem :

I am working , I would say trough an experimental design approach (perform
experiments, get responses, make regression, sensitivity analysis, risk
analysis ...). The problem is now that I have to face with not only a
response but a vector or a matrix (typically a spatial distribution of a
physical property ... pressure). Is there any kind of approach to deal with
that ? I don' t know to group cells together to dicrease the dimension of
the problem ...

I have no idea and I really need some help

Thanks in advance

Isabelle

Isabelle Zabalza-Mezghani
Institut Français du Pétrole