How many mum's and pop's do you have, and how many observations do you have of each mum-pop combination? If you want mum nested within pop, do I infer correctly that each mum has mated with only one pop, but that each pop may have offspring by multiple mums? The table of mum-pop combinations might help explain why you got, "Error in chol((value + t(value))/2) : non-positive definite matrix in chol".

If you can get an answer ignoring pop, then you might be able to get an answer with pop as a separate random term without specifying mum nested within pop. Also, I'd check very carefully the specification of nesting: I've messed that up more than once, and I'm bald now, because I tore all my hair out before I figured out what I was doing wrong. (Well, there is a slight exageration there.) Have you tried a very simple toy problem (or a published example) with nesting to make sure you can get the correct answer?

hope this helps.
spencer graves

Sarah Mclean wrote:
Hi,

thanks for the advice. I have looked at the Pinheiro
and Bates book and I've tried simplifying my model.

I've narrowed the problem down to having mum nested
within pop. If I run the analysis on each population
separately, the interaction between mo and su with mum
works fine.

If I could analyse all of the pops at once this would
be preferable because I have multiple responses and
pops to test so it would take a bit of time. I'm
hoping there is any easier way.

Thanks Sarah

--- Spencer Graves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Have you studied Pinhiero and Bates (2000) Mixed

Effects Models in S and S-Plus (Springer)?

Also, have you tried simplifying your "lme" call
until you get something that works, then start adding back terms
in various configurations until it breaks?

Have you tried to compute how many coefficients
are estimated in both fixed and random terms and evaluate whether all are
estimable? For example, with 2 factors at 2 levels each, if you
don't have all 4 possible combinations, you can't estimate the
interaction -- even if you have thousands of replications of each.

Finally, you can always try to read the code. I've learned a lot about S-Plus / R by doing that -- and solved a lot
of my own problems that way.

hope this helps. spencer graves

Sarah Mclean wrote:

Hi,

if I have posted this twice, please ignore this.

I'm

not sure if I sent it to the correct e-mail

address

the first time.

I have a data set on germination and plant growth

with

the following variables:

dataset=fm
mass (response)
sub (fixed effect)
moist (fixed effect)
pop (fixed effect)
mum (random effect nested within population)
iheight (covariate)
plot (random effect- whole plot factor for

split-plot

design).

I want to see if moist or sub interacts with mum

for

any of the pops, but I am getting an error

message.

This is the formula I used:
fm$pmu <- getGroups(fm, ~1|pop/mum, level=2)
fm$grp = as.factor(rep(1,nrow(fm)))
fm$pl <- getGroups(fm, ~1|plot)
fm$mo <- getGroups(fm, ~1|moist)
fm$su <- getGroups(fm, ~1|sub)

fm1 <- lme(sqrt(mass) ~ iheight + moist*sub*pop,

data=fm,

random=list(grp=pdBlocked(list(pdIdent(~pl -

1), pdIdent(~pmu - 1),  pdIdent(~pmu:su - 1),
pdIdent(~pmu:mo - 1)))))
Error in chol((value + t(value))/2) : non-positive
definite matrix in chol

I know the problem is with the random interaction
terms, but I don't know how to overcome this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm new

to R

and analysis such as this.

Thank you,

Sarah Mclean