At 18:08 16/07/03 +1200, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
I would like to do some fairly basic stem-and-leaf displays in R.
I am aware (I might even say painfully aware) of stem(base) and
have tried it.  That's why I'm hoping someone has a usable stem-
and-leaf display for R so that I don't have to write my own.

r-project.org > Search > R Site Search > "stem and leaf display"
finds nothing.

I also tried the mail archive search, but couldn't figure out how
to search the bodies of the messages.

For the record, there are some less important things that I would
like to have (like depths and outlier lines), and it is a pity that
the "atom" argument of stem() is effectively undocumented (it's a
tolerance, fine, but what _of_ and how used?),

Source is available ...

but I'd put up with stem() the way it is if only it didn't do things like displaying
5.67 and 5.78 as
56 | 78
which makes it effectively unusable. What good is a stem and leaf
plot where you can't recover the leading digits of the numbers correctly?

?????

> x<-c(5.67, 5.78)
> stem(x)

The decimal point is 1 digit(s) to the left of the |

  56 | 7
  57 |
  57 | 8

What are you doing?

Richard Rowe Senior Lecturer Department of Zoology and Tropical Ecology, James Cook University Townsville, Queensland 4811, Australia fax (61)7 47 25 1570 phone (61)7 47 81 4851 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.jcu.edu.au/school/tbiol/zoology/homepage.html