Ross Ihaka wrote:

If anyone knows how to Gouraud, Phong or other smooth shading method
portably in a vector system I'd be keen to hear about it.

Why bloat R with something like that? All we need is a way of linking R with Blender and we have a fully-GPL statistics and 3-d rendering facility. Blender is scriptable in python, so you could read data files from Blender, or possibly one could write an R graphics device that produced Blender-compatible data files. Blender

Eventually you'll be able to walk through your data in 3-d....

Baz