OK, I am try to produce an array of ranks. I have a set of data (s) that looks like this

rt      subj
312     dave
467     dave
411     dave
383     kim
398     kim

Now I want to make a column that is an array of the ranks of rt by subject. The closest of gotten is using the following.

r <- by (s, s$subj, function(d) rank(d[1]))

This gets the data out with ranks but I cannot figure out how to easily extract each of the lists and turn the whole thing into a nice straight array (it is an array of lists when unclassed). I couldn't get anything working with any of the apply's or ave. Any suggestions? This seems like it should be a common task.