R is very similar to Gauss for this kind of task. Try:

  e1 <- x[,23] == 0
  e2 <- x[,12] > 1
  e3 <- x[,4] < 15
  e  <- e1 | e2 | e3   # e1 or e2 or e3
  x  <- x[!e,]         # keep if NOT e

Hope that helps,
Marlene

Francisco J. Bido wrote:
Hi,

I am translating some Gauss code to R. Gauss has an interesting way of handling constraints. Observe the following code snipplet:

e1 = x[.,23] .eq 0; @ remove obs with Regular Hours = 0 @
e2 = x[.,12] .gt 1; @ remove obs with non-regular work status @
e3 = x[.,4] .lt 15; @ remove obs with agricultural and mining industry code (< 15)@
esum = e1 + e2 + e3;
e = esum .gt 0; @ remove obs that fail all three of the above tests @
x = delif(x,e);

I'm hoping that the above is self explanatory. Currently I am using the "subset" command in R to compute e1, e2, e3 but the rest is tricky: the actual code has several additional constraints and I'm ending up with some very ugly buggy code. Is there a straightforward way to do this in R?

Thanks,
-Francisco

PD Dr. Marlene Müller
Fraunhofer ITWM Kaiserslautern, Abt. Finanzmathematik
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED], Tel/Fax: +49 631 205 4189/4139
http://www.itwm.fhg.de/index.php?abt=fm/employees/mueller&inc=mueller