I don't know if I understand what you want, but I wonder if the following might help:

> Ptrans <- data.frame(Jan=LETTERS[rep(1:2, 5)],
+ June=LETTERS[rep(1:2, each=5)])
> (table(Ptrans$Jan, Ptrans$June)/dim(Ptrans)[1])
A B A 0.3 0.2
B 0.2 0.3

hope this helps. spencer graves

Christian Schulz wrote:

Hi,

have got anybody experience or a starting
point for me, how i can program a function which calculate me a probability transition matrix with a data.frame and two states.

I have some independend variable and a class variable for two states - in example one from Jan2003 and the same variables from June2003.

Now i would like to calculate the probability that PERSON X change from classA to classB between this time-period dependend from
the independend variables.

Until now i think about an "easy" function  what use the Bayes-Theorem, but it's too
bad that i'm
not a mathematican.

Thanks for any starting point, idea, link or paper!

P.S.
I now the msm package, but think it's complex for my intention!?

Regards,Christian