James MacDonald wrote:

Using R-1.8.0 (d/l and compiled on 2003-10-01) on WinXP, I seem to be
unable to determine the maximum memory allocated to R. The help still
says to use memory.limit(size=NA), but this returns the value NA.

In addition, I have set --max-mem-size=2G but I run out of memory
somewhere around 500Mb (which is why I am trying to find out how much
memory is allocated). I don't have any other programs open, so I should
certainly be able to address more memory than that.

Any ideas?

Yes. 2GB is a bit more than the possible theoretical maximal value for a single process on 32-bit Windows. Instead, try starting with, e.g., "--max-mem-size=1700M" and you'll get

> memory.limit()
[1] 1782579200

Uwe Ligges

TIA