At Wednesday 03:06 PM 10/8/2003 +0200, Martin Maechler wrote:
Your question has been answered by Achim and Peter Dalgaard (at least).

Just a note:

Using
       a[which(logic)]
looks like a clumsy and inefficient way of writing
       a[ logic ]

and I think you shouldn't propagate its use ...

What then is the recommended way of treating an NA in the logical subset as a FALSE? (Or were you just talking about the given example, which didn't have this issue. However, you admonition seemed more general.)

As in:
> x <- 1:4
> y <- c(1,2,NA,4)
> x[y %% 2 == 0]
[1]  2 NA  4
> x[which(y %% 2 == 0)]
[1] 2 4

Sometimes one might want the first result, but more usually, I want the second, and using which() seems a convenient way to get it.

-- Tony Plate