Hi

Vittorio wrote:
Paul Murrell [r-help] <20/10/03 09:13 +1300>:

Hi
..................................................... The "nasty rectangles" are the output of the layout.show() function. This function draws a simple diagram (consisting of nasty rectangles) to indicate the regions that a call to layout() has set up. It is designed to help users to understand what on earth the layout() function is doing. (It is NOT a necessary part of setting up an arrangement of plots using the layout() function.)

I suspect that the author of "simpleR" may have accidentally left the layout.show() call in simple.scatterplot() when copying the example from the layout() help file (apologies to John Verzani if this is an unfair diagnosis).

So the immediate solution to your problem is to remove the line ...

layout.show(nf)

... from simple.scatterplot(). The output should then be a single page which should "include" ok in latex.

The larger problem of how to get at individual pages of output is probably best solved using something like the "onefile" argument to devices. For example, look at the files produced by ...

   pdf(onefile=FALSE)
   example(layout)

... and at the help page for pdf() to see more about how to do this.

Hope that helps

Yes, Paul, definitely it helps. Thanks!

I obtained what I wanted.

Now, I want to control the output of the pdf() command making it write
a specific file chosen by me and not the system. After reading the
help page for the pdf, I was unable to do it.

E.g. I issued
onefile<-FALSE
pdf(file=ifelse(onefile,,"vic.pdf")
example(layout)

And I obtained a 5-pages vic.pdf with page 1-4 full of "nasty rectangles" of any kind and page 5 with the right picture.

You need something like ...

    pdf("yourname%03d.pdf", onefile=FALSE)
    example(layout)

Paul