If you are using S4 classes/methods you can just do

setGeneric("union")

and that converts union() into an S4 generic function. Then you can use setMethod() to create a union() method for your own objects. I think the original union() in the base package because the default method.

-roger

Wolski wrote:
Hi!

I would like to give my objects functions like "subset", "union", et cetera and name
it also in this way.
But this functions names are already used in the base package and they are not generic.
I am right in that if they would be generic then i still can use the neat names with
my objects?
I have the impression that there are more and more packages are going to be developed.
How this is going to be handled in future?

Eryk.

Dipl. bio-chem. Eryk Witold Wolski    @    MPI-MG Dep. Vertebrate Genomics
Ihnestrasse 73 14195 Berlin          'v'
tel: 0049-30-84131285               /   \
mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]        ---W-W----