Dear all,
In connection with a stats course where we want to use R, I am trying to find out if
there are analogues to the ESTIMATE and LSMEANS ("population" means) statements in SAS
(in proc glm, proc genmod and proc mixed). The students are agronomists, vets and that
sort of people, and most of them have some familiarity with SAS.

    The design package seems to go some of the way, but the model objects are not
"pure" R (as lm or glm) and for that reason I am a little reluctant to embark on that
train. The gregmisc package also provides some features, but I can not figure out a
simple of producing e.g. lsmeans.

- Are there any packages/features I have overlooked?
- Has anyone written a small note on how to obtain the same things from in SAS and in R

Thanks in advance
Søren Højsgaard

(Just to show that I am prepared for harsh comments on the lsmeans: A lot of people
would probably argue that its a good thing that lsmeans is not there is because
lsmeans usually is not the "right thing" to compute. I agree to some extent - but
sometimes it is a sensible quantity to calculate, and I do not want to deprive people
the right to calculate lsmeans - I'd much rather spend time on 1) telling people what
it is and 2) discussing with them when its a relevant quantity to calculate...)