I usually do something like this:

filelist <- dir(path = ".") ## files in current directory

for(filename in filelist) {
        do.something(filename)
}

-roger

femke wrote:

Hello,

I'm an R newbie and was wondering whether there are R commands for iterating over files in a directory. Basically what I want to do is to iterate over many files and apply some R functions to each file seperately.

e.g. for (each file in a directory) do { some R calculation with the info in that file }

Could someone please give me a pointer to how (or if) this might be done with R - I haven't yet been able to find anything relevant in the manuals. Or would I need to call each file with some language such as Java and then use R once I have the file name?

Thanks for your help,

femke