Hello!

I'd like to install R on my machine in order to work with Joe Conway's pl/R in PostgreSQL. I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.2 with readline installed via Fink. I downloaded the Rdevel.dmg, and installed first Rframework.pkg and then Rapp.pkg. (I did not install the J_libreadline.pkg, J_libxml2.pkg, or J_tcltk.pkg also included on the disk image.) Both Rframework and Rapp installed apparently successfully, but R wouldn't launch. Checking the console log, I noticed this:

dyld: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/1.9.0/Resources/bin/R.bin can't open library: /usr/local/lib/libreadline.4.3.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

I know I have readline installed via Fink. As a hack, I created a symbolic link in /usr/local/lib to /sw/lib/libreadline.4.3.dylib, which is where Fink put it. Upon reinstalling Rframework.pkg and Rapp.pkg, it seems to work. R launches and I've been able to do a few (very) simple things.

In the README for pl/R, I find these notes:

    - R headers are required. Download and install R prior to building
      PL/R.

- R must have been built with the --enable-R-shlib option when it was
configured, in order for the libR shared object library to be available.

I tried to make pl/R, but I get this error:

*** Cannot build PL/R because libR is not a shared library.
*** You might have to rebuild your R installation.  Refer to
*** the documentation for details.

So it looks like the package installer does not do the equivalent of building with --enable-R-shlib. I'm also wondering whether the R headers are in a place where pl/R can find them.

Is there a way to specify my readline installation to the package installer (instead of manually creating the symbolic link)? And is there a way to install with --enable-R-shlib with the package installer?

Thanks for any help. I've checked the archives and done a bit of googling, but didn't find anything I thought was applicable.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com