Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: March 19, 2004 12:00:01 PM AST
To: Don MacQueen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [R] osx/fink: cannot do "R INSTALL" (library mixup)

That works perfectly!  THanks.  I did
  524  export PKG_LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -L/sw/lib"
  525  R INSTALL pspline
and all is fine.  Cheers!

On Mar 19, 2004, at 11:51 AM, Don MacQueen wrote:

Did you install the so-called "Developer Tools"? Or perhaps it's more correctly called "XTools" in 10.3 (Panther).

You may have learned about this already, but perhaps not since you just switched. A default OS X installation does not include all of the resources needed for code development. I've kind of lost track of the exact details of what's included in a default installation and what's not; I find it easier just to install everything.

Note that on my system (which is still 10.2.8):
[161]% locate frtbegin
/usr/local/lib/libfrtbegin.a
As I understand it, the folks who maintain RAqua binaries for OS X tend to not want to use fink, so they suggest getting additional resources from other sources. Evidently I did that.

The R documentation is pretty good about installation options. Here are a few pointers.

R INSTALL --help

You can set env vars before running R INSTALL, for example:
     setenv PKG_CPPFLAGS "-I/usr/local/mysql/include"
     setenv PKG_LIBS "-L/usr/local/mysql/lib -lmysqlclient"
(csh syntax)

-Don

Hello friends. I've just switched from linux to osx, and I'm liking it, except now that I'm getting down to brass tacks, and needing to install some R packages, I'm at a roadblock. I'm hoping someone can help.

My R is installed from a .dmg, and resides as follows:
$ which R
/usr/local/bin/R
The problem is that I cannot build packages. For example, see the below (which also indicates that libfrtbegin.a is in the
/sw
directory, i.e. that it was installed by the FINK setup). Does anybody know how I can solve this problem, e.g. how to alter the
-L(directory)
commands that are employed?

(Aside: I looked for a solution on the R archives. Also, I've tried to make my subject-line clear enough that an answer will benefit other osx/fink users. Thanks!!)

$ R INSTALL pspline
* Installing *source* package 'pspline' ...
** libs
gcc -bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -L/usr/local/lib -o pspline.so Pspline.o -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc- apple-darwin6.6/3.4 -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin6.6/3.4/../../.. -lfrtbegin -lg2c -lSystem -lcc_dynamic
ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin6.6/3.4) does not exist
ld: warning -L: directory name (/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin6.6/3.4/../../..) does not exist
ld: can't locate file for: -lfrtbegin
make: *** [pspline.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'pspline'
** Removing '/Applications/StartR.app/RAqua.app/Contents/pspline'

        $ locate frtbegin
        /sw/lib/libfrtbegin.a

Dan E. Kelley, Associate Professor                phone:(902)494-1694
Oceanography Department, Dalhousie University       fax:(902)494-2885
Halifax, Nova Scotia                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Canada B3H 4J1   http://www.phys.ocean.dal.ca/~kelley/Kelley_Dan.html

Don MacQueen
Environmental Protection Department
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory