Jason Turner wrote:

I do some DSP work, in the context of instrumentation signal filtering,
identification, tracking, and coherence (finding plant signals that have
similar "fingerprints").  I agree that in languages that require you to
work with explicit index values, the zero-offset makes perfect sense.

However, I'd like to second Prof. Ripley's remark that if you're actually
using indicies explicitly, you probably haven't wrapped your head around
how powerful the indexing structure and "whole object" approach is in S
(including R).  It's been a long time since I used counter-based indicies.

I absolutely agree that the powerful indexing in R ameliorates it to a large extent but even the less powerful indexing of Matlab should satisfy that condition and yet there is still considerable sturm and drang over this issue.

Bob --

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein