Although this thread might be considered closed by some, I'd like to make a
late contribution, since I contributed the extractIts() function in the
'its' package.

See ?itsSubset, which gives details of:

extractIts(x,weekday=FALSE,find=c("all","last","first"),period=c("week","mon
th"),partials=TRUE,select)

Using this on its own just 'extracts', using it with cumsum() and diff()
will give you 'sum' aggregation albeit with loss of precision.  As for
'average', it would depend how you want to average...

- Giles