so please set MAIN_LD as it suggests (and that's why I quoted the whole thing for you to read!)

OK, I've set MAIN_LD to 'gcc -Bstatic' but now 'make' fails for the following reason:

Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) : unable to load shared library "$BuildDir/library/methods/libs/methods.so": $BuildDir/library/methods/libs/methods.so: undefined symbol: R_GlobalEnv Execution halted Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) : unable to load shared library "$BuildDir/library/stats/libs/stats.so": $BuildDir/library/stats/libs/stats.so: undefined symbol: R_GlobalEnv Execution halted Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) : unable to load shared library "$BuildDir/library/tools/libs/tools.so": $BuilDir/library/tools/libs/tools.so: undefined symbol: R_NaString Error: couldn't find function ".installPackageNamespaceInfo" In addition: Warning message: package tools in options("defaultPackages") was not found Execution halted

So I'm afraid I'm still missing a flag somewhere... I'm sorry but I'm not used compiling such packages so I cannot figure out where I made a mistake.

Thanks again for your patience :-(

Melanie