Am 27.05.2004 22:11:04 schrieb(en) Berton Gunter:
Your question does not make a lot of sense to me. If you only want to compute distances between mothers and THEIR daughters, you cannot have a matrix, because different mothers have different numbers of daughters.

Thats true, but we took only one mother and one daugther in our sample, so in this sample we have only on daugther from one mother.

Do you want to define the distance between a mother and someone else's daughter as 0 or INF ? Do you want to show that mothers and their daughters are more similar then mothers and someone else's daughters?

Thats my question, yes. ;-)

You either need to think about what you wish to do more carefully or express it more carefully. At least for me. Maybe someone else will understand you better.

Sorry, its the first time for me to talking about statistics in english and so I have to learn to express it better.

Martin

-- Bert

Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Im reading through some manuals, but I cannot find my answer.
>
> I have a file containing many data:
>
> Vpn Code Family Age F1 F2 ... F17
> 1 1 M 46 1 2 ... 1
> 2 1 D 18 3 2 ... 4
> 3 2 M 50 3 3 ... 3
> and so on.
>
> Now I can read it by:
>
> F = read.table("file", header=T)
>
> but now I want to seperate the mothers (M) and daugthers (D) of the
> family with all the data in all other fields. How can I do that?
>
> The 'Code' Tells me which mother belongs to which dougther. I want
> make a matrix where I have the mothers on one and the daugthers on
the
> other axis and compair the distance of every question (F1...F17) and
> the distance of the sum of this questions. The questions are
semantic
> differencials, 5 values. F4, and F7 must have reverse polarity in
this
> case.
>
> Hm. How do I have to do now?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

Bert Gunter

Non-Clinical Biostatistics
Genentech
MS: 240B
Phone: 650-467-7374

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning process."

 -- George E.P. Box