n.bouget wrote:
Hi,
I want to know which distance is using in the function kmeans
and if we can change this distance. Indeed, in the function pam, we can put a distance matrix in
parameter (by the line "pam<-pam(dist(matrixdata),k=7)" ) but
we can't do it in the function kmeans, we have to put the
matrix of data directly ...
Thanks in advance,
Nicolas BOUGET

One solution is to transform the data in a way, that the euclidean distance of the transformed values represents some other distance of the original values. This works at least for the Mahalanobis-Distance, when one applies a multivariate technique to a PCA transformed and re-scaled matrix, but I don't know if there are transformations for some other distance measures.

Thomas P.