Hello List

I'm working on a combinatoric problem in which the object is to
minimize the badness() of a vector. I think this class of problem is only
soluble by optim() using method=SANN.

The badness() of anything is >= 0, and when I've found a solution with
zero badness, I want optim() to stop (carrying on beyond zero badness
cannot improve the solution).  Efficiency is crucial here.

The  ?optim manpage states

          For '"SANN"' 'maxit' gives the total number of function
          evaluations. There is no other stopping criterion.

How best to make optim() stop as soon as it finds a zero badness
solution?

method=SANN does currently not support an absolute convergence tolerance. However, it should be straightforward to extend it towards supporting other stopping criteria.

best
Adrian