hi again

what a stimulating R discussion! This is R-help at its very best!

I think I understand why you don't want pure inter-block permutations.

My solution would be to realize that weeding out "forbidden" permutations is
quite difficult and time-consuming (also as several people have pointed out
forbidden permutations are very rare, accounting for only a proportion of
(3!)^4/12!  ...about one in 400000).

The extra expense of this weeding process
is likely to outweigh the slight loss of efficiency caused by
generating a forbidden permutation.  My solution would therefore be:

x <- c(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12)
x.new <- sample(x)

(note the not-inconsiderable advantage of code simplicity!)

I think my algorithm generated repeats because in it there are only (4!)^3=13284 distinct
permutations; see help(birthday). The system above has 12! ~= 4x10^8, much higher.

Hope this helps

Robin

} 7.- Robin Hankin a<-matrix(1,200,12) for (i in 1:200) { x <- c(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12) dim(x) <- c(3,4) jj <- t(apply(x,1,sample)) a[i,]<-as.vector(jj) } ##In 200 permutations, there are 5 repetitions.

Thanks to all and sorryfor the confusion that have generated the "intra-block" permutation.

Jordi Altirriba
PhD student
Hospital Clinic - Barcelona - Spain

P.S. I think that I don't have forgot to anybody...(sorry if I have done it)

¿Cuánto vale tu auto? Tips para mantener tu carro. ¡De todo en MSN Latino Autos! http://latino.msn.com/autos/

--
Robin Hankin
Uncertainty Analyst