You may want to look at the notes on and functions for workspace
management that guide me. They can be downloaded from

http://faculty.washington.edu/lunnebor/Stat342/

by checking on "Exercises." I use the .GlobalEnv (position 1 on search
path) solely for scratch and have project work attached further down the
path. The two functions move() and rm.sv() contributed by my colleague
John Miyamoto and described in the above make this easy to do.