They are substantially different, even if I used 'gini' for both of them
and set feature parameters to 0's. Seems to me there is something more
than splitting rule that governs the growth of tree. What could that be,
other than sizes?
Thank you,
Auston

"Liaw, Andy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

07/19/2004 09:38 AM

To:
"'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:

RE: [R] rpart and TREE, can be the same?

Auston,

I see that now.  Have you tried setting mindev=0 in tree() and cp=0 in
rpart(), to see if the unpruned trees are identical?  If so, you can
probably try pruning the trees back using other tools in those packages.

Cheers,
Andy