I have some images of bugs (insects) with many bugs in each image.
I want to count the number of bugs and to have an estimate of the area of each one.
I've tried searching for an R package to do so with no success. Is this a task that I should pursue doing in R or should I restrict myself to specific image analysis software (e.g. ImageJ)?.

The reason I consider R would be a good choice is because then It would probably be possible to use R statistical power to do pattern recognition on each bug's image to try to identify each bug (Family, genus or species).
Is anybody working in this direction?
Thanks,
Angel