for()-loops aren't so bad. Look inside the code of apply() and see what it uses! The important thing is that you use vectorized functions to manipulate vectors. It's often fine to use for-loops to manipulate the rows or columns of a matrix, but once you've extracted a row or a column, then use a vectorized function to manipulate that data.

In any case, one way to get apply() to return a list is to wrap the result from the subfunction inside a list, e.g.:

> x <- apply(matrix(1:6,2), 1, function(x) list((c(mean=mean(x), sd=sd(x)))))
[[1]]
mean   sd
   3    2

[[2]] [[2]][[1]] mean sd 4 2

> # to remove the extra level of listing here, do: > lapply(x, "[[", 1) [[1]] mean sd 3 2

[[2]]
mean   sd
   4    2