Philippe Grosjean wrote:

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 17-Nov-2004, Philippe Grosjean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| - There is no possibility to make a commercial GUI for R (thanks to | the GPL),

This is false. Please don't confuse "commercial" (Red Hat and SuSE GNU/Linux distributions are commercial software) with "proprietary".

jwe

Ooops! Sorry, and thank you for correcting me. I mean "proprietary", of course. Best,

Philippe Grosjean

This thread has gone to be centered around the GUI of R and what it is good and bad.

However, is the above statement correct? To me it seems like there is a fully working R-proxy dll for windows and other ways to interface against R that only binds to LGPL components. You can build completely proprietary packages and front-ends to R without having to make sources available, as long as you distribute changes to R itself as source.

In my opinion anyone can be to R what S+ is to S. Can any developer comment on this?

   Best regards,

   David