Thanks Duncan,

I really know nothing about Latex - however the macro you detailed
below does not exist in the file: /usr/lib/R/share/texmf/Rd.sty

The header of that file reads:

%%% Rd.sty ... Style for printing the R manual
%%%
%%% Modified 1998/01/05 by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
%%% Modified 1998/07/07 by Martin Maechler
%%% Modified 1999/11/20 by Brian Ripley
%%% Modified 1999/12/26 by Kurt Hornik

My R version is 1.8.0 - can update the support files (like Rd.sty) without doing
a total R upgrade?

Thanks for your help

Mark

I am trying to compose some documentation for a package I hope to release soon.

However when I do the following:

R CMD Rd2dvi --pdf mypackage.Rd

I get two mainly blank pages prepended to the top of the document - the only text on either (at the top of the first page) is as follows:
hyperindex,colorlinks,pagebackref,linktocpage,plainpages=false,linkcolor=Blue
,citecolor=Blue,urlcolor=Red,pdnull null null

Curiously if you generate the dvi it is fine and if you generate the pdf from the dvi using dvipdf it is also fine...

Anyone got any ideas?

System: Linux 2.4.24 SMP i686 GNU/Linux, latex 3.14159-2.1 pdfTex 3.4.5

Looks like some LaTeX package is out of date, and doesn't understand some of the tex that got generated. Rd.sty has this:

 \hypersetup{%
   hyperindex,%
   colorlinks,%
   pagebackref,%
   linktocpage,%
   plainpages=false,%
   linkcolor=Blue,%
   citecolor=Blue,%
   urlcolor=Red,%
   pdfstartview=Fit,%
   pdfview={XYZ null null null}%
 }

so I think your system doesn't have the \hypersetup macro defined (or
maybe you're using an out of date Rd.sty or hyperref.sty?)

Duncan Murdoch