The FAQ Q8.1 does recommend that summary() methods do not print themselves but returned a classed object to be printed.

What doItAndPrint does is to capture the result of an explicit print, so it will only work for summary methods that follow that recommendation.

I do think doItAndPrint should be capturing all the output from a function via sink(), and not just the print of the final result.