Brian D Ripley wrote:
You wrote your mail in UTF-8.  R does not support UTF-8, and that is both
documented and announced on startup in such a locale (at least on OSes
with standard-conforming implementations):

thanks for clarifying this point.

nevertheless:

1. the mail was (on purpose) sent in utf-8 to transport correctly the output from the R command window (i.e. the GUI provided with the macOS port). it is _this_ GUI (sorry for not explaining this correctly in the first place) where the problem occurs. I'm not using (knowingly at least) utf-8.
when starting the same binary from the command line in a terminal (where I generally use ISO Latin 1 encoding) it is perfectly possible to get the special characters into variables and into plots.

2. the OS is macos 10.3, i.e. essentially FreeBSD derivative and hopefully conforms to the standardsbu R on startup in the GUI gives only:
========cut=============

R : Copyright 2004, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.0.1  (2004-11-15), ISBN 3-900051-07-0

'help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

i.e. no announcement whatsoever concerning missing utf-8 support, despite the fact that following input is interpreted in such a way.

so, probably this is more a question to the maintainers of the macOS port:_where_ did R (when startet with the GUI) get the notion that it should interpret keyboard input as utf-8? can I change this (it's not in the preferences, for instance)?

gannet% env LANG=en_GB.utf8 R

R : Copyright 2004, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.0.1  (2004-11-15), ISBN 3-900051-07-0
WARNING: UTF-8 locales are not currently supported

Solution: do not use an unsupported locale.