On Fri, 24 Dec 2004, Paul JH Drake wrote:

I'm using R 2.0 in SuSE 9.2.

There is no such version, BTW: please see the posting guide for hints on supplying the sort of information we need (and an example would have helped a lot here).

When I plot data as a boxplot, the boxes appear on the plot in
alphabetical order (of group) rather than the order in which they appear
in the data.

I'm guessing you used the formula interface to boxplot(): if so they appear in the order of the levels of the factor. Otherwise they appear in the order the groups are supplied to boxplot().

So far, the only thing I can do to fix this is to prefix the group labels with a,b,c...etc to trick R into plotting them in the right order.

Can sorting be turned off?

No, as it is not turned on!

How should I address this sensibly?

I need to be guessing, again! Create your group as a factor with the levels in the order you want. You don't tell us how you created it, but see ?factor. In particular, if you did not supply a factor but something which was coerced to a factor, supply a factor.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]